Click Here To Download Episode 2
As promised, the second episode of The Build Up. We’re taking this two week schedule pretty seriously as it puts a fire under Jon’s and my ass to make sure we’ve got some cool ideas to speak about. As with the last episode the conversation is both casual and the topics varied, so prepare for an entertaining blend of thoughts, criticisms and ideas. On a technical note we’re still looking into putting the podcast onto iTunes so try to be patient. In the meantime you can listen here on the page or download the mp3 if you’re retro like that.
Our second episode is about a lot of things:
• Stanley Kubrick exhibit at LACMA
• The function of museums
• Good Icelandic beer
• How amazing Thanksgiving is
• Good people in Portland
• The best football ad ever?
• The Hobbit posters are lame
• Good typography skills are necessary
• Jon’s new candle line Arlo Jacob
• The absurdness of that tiny Instagram projector
• Gimmicky products
• The importance of good customer service
• Brands using social media
• Jon’s obsession with shoe videos
• Good music from Lost in the Trees, Jon Brion, The Magnetic Fields, and The Avalanches
Feel free to leave us feedback by hitting is up at @thefoxisblack and @jonsetzen, or you can find The Fox Is Black on Facebook.
Click Here To Download Episode 1
For about a month now I’ve been thinking it could be fun to start a podcast. The idea was that I could take the content from the site and give it a bit more life. The things I write have a shelf life, they’re here and then they’re gone. So what if I were to try to extend the life of the content? This was my initial goal which has evolved into something I’m calling The Build Up.
The Build Up is a bi-weekly podcast that’s hosted by myself and Jon Setzen, creative director at Media Temple and host of the Los Angeles branch of Creative Mornings. It’s a very casual format consisting of the two of us with a list of topics, a couple bottles or booze and a cheese platter. We’ll also be having special guests in the future like folks from here in Los Angeles or visiting friends from out of town.
Our first episode is about a lot of things:
• The misguided branding/advertising of Microsoft
• The shake-up at Apple
• Joe Stewart’s, “main creative dude” at HUGE, five things that inspire him
• Wolff Ollins logo design
• Hammer Museum’s Graphic Design show
• Logo rebrands
• USA Today redesign
• 800º Pizza
• The infantalism of office designs
• Being Google-able
• Tina from Swissmiss
• Tattly, the most unexpected business
• Music you should check out
We’re still working things out but I think our first episode is pretty solid. The audio could be a little better but it’s something that we’re working on. You can listen to the podcast by clicking the player above, or you can download an MP3 of the podcast by clicking above. Feel free to leave us feedback by hitting is up at @thefoxisblack and @jonsetzen, or you can find The Fox Is Black on Facebook.